Most of this week was spent doing independent research into database topics. As Evergreen does not regularly offer database coursework, I was grateful for this opportunity. I focused my studies on SQL concepts and ADO.NET, which is a C# framework for interacting with relational databases. I ended up writing a small C# console program that uses ADO.NET to interface with a local database instance, performing basic tasks such as selecting/inserting/deleting rows and calling stored procedures. This was a great exercise and really gave me a solid basic foundation for coded database interaction. Soon, I will begin applying those concepts to writing some C# code related to gathering database performance metrics.
I also completed a number of other small projects. I finished my research into Silverlight web testing and wrote up a document presenting my findings. I also fixed a couple of issues with the suite of web tests I had written previously, and have begun writing an internal troubleshooting document for web performance tests.
I had a moment of excitement when the tests I wrote turned up what looked like a bug, but it turned out to be a known issue… so the search continues for my career-first bugfind.
Culture-wise, I picked up my cards for the employee Magic: the Gathering league and made my deck. I will be playing approximately 15 games over the next five weeks against various coworkers; this will not only be fun, but be a great chance to network.
Leave a Reply